Here is my newest creation 14” Bru Jne 4 with antique eyes.
I am taking her to Japan with me next week and she will be exhibited and sold at Velvet Knot doll exhibition in Hayama Kanagawa, Japan. Her blue ensemble is made from all antique materials, I also made her Chevrot style body. I made her wig with antique hand tied mohair. I am teaching her Japanese in case she decides to stay there
I finished a hat for 14” Bru. The main fabric is antique aqua colored silk and it’s not matched color with the dress. Yet blue velvet ribbon and feather tie them together. For some reason I thought this color goes well with the dress than using ecru or blue.
I am leaving for Japan in two weeks and finally finished the Bru dress. ( Hooray!) I have used this design multiple times this year because it looks really nice on Bru dolls. Even though they have the same base design I can still create a different impression by using different colored fabrics and changing small details. I particularly like this cerulean blue silk taffeta which is very hard to find in modern fabric. This blue makes the doll look very special I think.
Even though the deadline is approaching, sometimes I make a dress half way and think, “Huh? It doesn’t look like what I imagined. It doesn’t look right on her“. That’s happening this time
I’m going to start over again by changing the design and color. This Bru definitely looks better in blue than red and gold …
This turquoise blue fabric I will be using is an antique gown from 1870’s silk taffeta. This fabric is very thin and crisp and has beautiful luster and it turns into heavy looking fabric by adding thick cotton backing.
I love using eyelet insertion lace with ribbon to trim doll corsets. But finding small scale lace trim and eyelet lace combinations is not so easy. I often stitch three pieces of lace together to make trims for corsets.
I wanted to use smaller iris glass eyes for my new Bru doll but eye holes seemed bit too large against irises. So I made another head with smaller eye cut. I think the balance of irises and eye holes seem better with this new head. I like this one better than the first head I made.